In math, we have been playing an addition game called "Winning Track Challenge." This game involves multiple addend addition, strategy and teamwork! We are learning the 4 different "stations" for Math Workshop and will begin rotating to the Group Lesson, Fast Facts, New Game, and Skill Review.
Our first two days were AWESOME! I can tell we are going to have a great year. Some of the highlights of our first two days were:
1) Unpacking, labeling and organizing our supplies. Each table worked as a team to decide who would collect items and how they would organize supplies. These second graders talked cooperatively and kindly to one another. Here are the four table teams showing how they made their art boxes fit in one drawer like a puzzle.
2) We did a "Classroom Hunt" where students had a change to look around the room and "hunt" for certain things, like "Something I'm curious about." We also did a "Find a Friend" activity, where they learned about their classmates and practice writing/spelling their classmates names.
3) We had 3 read-alouds: We practiced the strategy "Check for Understanding when we read First Day Jitters. Ask your child about the surprise ending! We then read The Kissing Hand and discussed Story Elements. Then I shared one of my favorite books, Leonardo The Terrible Monster, which leads to our first homework assignment of the year (See Below!)
Both of these assignments went home Friday in students Yellow "Home" Folder.
1) Favorite Book - bring in your favorite book.
2) All About Me Bag- bring 5 items in a ziplock bag to share with the class.
Dec 17-Jan 2- Winter Break